Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week four at the MTC

Hello friends and family!
 
It's starting to seem like the weeks blend together. I can't even remember what has happened this week, but I can assure you, a lot has happened. My routine has been quite... shall we say, routine? We have set schedules everyday. The longest days I have found so far are Mondays and Saturdays. We have gym in the morning, and then class from 9 am - 9 pm (with lunch and dinner breaks of course). But hurray. Today is Tuesday.
 
I got your letter dad. Thanks so much! I enjoyed it muchos. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. The only time I have to take pictures are on Sundays when we go on Temple Walks. I bring both cameras and take pictures. it's a lot fun. In a week the older districts in my zone are all shipping out to the Motherland. There are three others that are going to St. Petersburg. They are awesome. Love em. One of them is named Elder Albee. For a while I would sing the Friend's theme everytime I would see him. But i kind of grew out of it. Sorry if my capitilazition is off. The shift key is messed up a little. so bear with me. anywho, yes they are all leaving in less than a week. So it's going to be a bit quiet after next week. I think we get more Russian missionaries on April 6th. I am not sure when Sean Rooney is coming in, but if he is coming in on the 6th, there is a HUGE chance he is going to be in my zone, which would be awesome. Our zone consists of our hallway in the residence halls. It's a lot of fun. So for about a week, it's just going to be 3 districts of 21 people total left in the hall. that's queit. too quiet.
 
i hope the boat is doing fine. She's gone through much agony trying to pull 4 adults on tubes. If her health fails her, she lived a good life... If I don't see you again when I get back, Bayliner, fare thee well.
 
I am still hoping that the Putin and Biden don't do the visa agreements. Visa runs are going to be way awesome. I would get to visit a few other places across Europe every 3 months, and that's something I would want reaaaal bad.
 
This week, we had a sister in the neighboring district (ukraine speaking district) who got a concussion. She was doing laundry and she hit her head with immense force on the dryer above. She was concussed for a while too. She had to go to the ER once or twice. She's fine now, but it put a lot of stress on the sisters in my district. They are in a three way companionship, so they had to go to the hospital with her and such. My district leader also bruised his sternum while playing volleyball with us. He has since gotten better with the help of his awesomeness and some painkillers. Don't worry. I am not injured, nor do i plan to be. By the way, I think you might enjoy this, dad, but guess who has been taking vitamins everyday? This guy! Yup. I have been quite good at that. Pop in some Centrum and some L-Lysine every morning, and I am set. it makes up for the lack of nutritional quality that is the MTC cafetaria.
 
Oh so the older districts also got their travel plans... Remember how I thought I was going to go to Chicago? So the three going to St. petersburg, their flights go to CHICAGO and then LONDON and then ST. PETERSBURG!!! So i guess my hunch was partially correct.
 
This week's TRC, or in other words, our lesson we teach on wednesdays went kind of eh. The Russian was good. It was a scenario in which to take the investigator onto a bus and converse with them for 15 minutes. I thought I did really well. I have been getting really good at formulating my own sentences now, and not just reciting poorly memorized phrases. The lesson we taught is in English and we had to switch investigators midway though our lesson and it was really confusing, and I felt that confusion (and the fact that the mock investigator didn't read the TRC scenario. [it was supposed to be a college student, but the mock investigator was going on and on about how his back hurts and he had to get knee surgery and was a father]) really hindered my ability to communicate with my Companion visually to see what we wanted to talk about. It was supposed to be on The Plan of Salvation and it ended up being on the Restoration, so in that respect, we did well changing our plans and teaching something not according to our plans. But I know I can do better . Next week we are teaching Plan of Salvation and word of wisdom, and we have to help them move and pack in Russian. cool i know. Next wednesday we are teaching in Russian... jeebies!
 
So last night, since the older districts are leaving, they passed down some of the traditional "pass-down" heirlooms from older older districts. Last night we had a ceremonial passing down of дар езиковь, or the Gift Of Tongues Hat. It felt like the Sorting Hat, and I grew really excited. The Previous owner, Elder Byington had all of us youngies kneel down and he hovered the hat over our heads until it found the right bearer... I was chosen among the sea of missionaries to bear the дар езиковь. [dar ye-zee-koff] An honor among men.
 
Well that's about it for this week, I suppose. A few things I thought were hilarious that my companion said in class was when asked to describe his family in Russian, he responds that he has a white family. And when asked what he was majoring in, he responded taht he was majoring in Isosceles Triangles. I exploded after hearing that.
 
Anywho,
Gotta run!
 
Love you all!
 
Elder Tekulve
 
Again, forgive me if the grammar, spelling, and capitalization is poor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment