Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Week 5 in the MTC

Hey everyone!
 
I honestly cannot remember how many weeks i have been here. I suppose i could count and see.
So I am on another shotty keyboard so please bear with me. (Maybe it's because I don't type as much anymore? Who knows)
 
Anywho, So this week was a great one. A few notable occurances. First off, I was having a hard time finding a purpose here at the MTC besides learning Russian and reading scriptures. I honestly wanted to serve and not just spend my time learning Russian grammar (which is horrendous, by and by). So I prayed about it one night, and the next day a sister missionary in my district asked me if I could give her a blessing of comfort, it being my second blessing, and it being the first blessing my district would participate in. So naturally, I grew nervous thinking of what to say, and 5 minutes later, I blessed her. It was the same sister who knows The Irwins. Her name is Sister Quinn, but anywho, yes I gave her a blessing. It was such an awesome answer to my prayer because I actually got to serve here in the MTC. She was in need of comfort and I was there to help her, and it was so great. The Spirit was so strong as I was giving her a blessing and I honestly had no idea what I was going to say, let alone the fact that i really dont remember what I said in the first place. So I stood there shaking blessing her things that I had no previously thought of. It was so amazing. I honestly can't wait to give blessings to those out in the field. 6 more weeks or so! May 9th, I am out of here. From what I do remember though, about the blessing, is just that I kept on thinking of Moroni 8:3 as I was blessing her, and I shared that scripture with her afterward and she was really thankful for the blessing and the scripture because she needed some help with her family situation. (i recommend that scripture, it's a great one. Nay. A fantastic one).
 
To add, I finished the Book of Mormon already this week and I started Jesus the Christ. Jesus The Christ is one of the most amazing books I have read so far. It's way interesting. Talmage is a fantastic writer. I honestly can't wait to read some more. This week, on Sunday we had amazing Missionary Devotional (we have one every fast Sunday) and the MTC president gave an amazing talk about Jesus Christ and his Atonement. It was seriously so amazing. I filled a few pages alone of notes.
 
Yesterday, All of the older districts in my zone left to the field already. It's empty in my hallway now. It's kind of sad :( But I am excited for them. They are finally going to the Motherland!! I cannot wait to be in their position and leaving. A few of them going to Rostov, Russia had to leave at 5, and so they woke us all up and gave us all hugs and some pass-down items. Someone in the hallway got the passdown mattress pad that's super squishy. Yeah, it sounds like gross, but that's why we have sheets, right? Like i said last week, I got the Gift of Tongues Hat. It's a most choice hat. My companion got these two cheap colognes from another missionary called "Black" and "$$$". It's been a hilarious few momenets with  those colognes. We always say "black money" in Russian whenever we can. By the way, I am convinced I have the funniest companion ever. He just occiasionally says the most hilarious things not meaning to. They make some great stories. He is actually sitting next to me right now writing his family a letter. He's a great lit'l feller.
 
Oh. Another notable thing that happened this week... So yesterday, Elder Clark (my compajnion) and I were sitting down to eat lunch, and we look over and we see an older couple sitting in a table nearby. We had read a few weeks ago that the  St. Petersburg Russia were getting new mission presidents and they had been announced. We saw a picture of them a while ago; a pleasant picture of Brother and Sister Beasley. Well, Clark looks over and is convinced it was them. We go up to them, and sure enough it was. So we sat with them and got to get to know them a little bit. They are from Fort Worth, Texas and know Thaddeus Blankenship! It was cool to hear. But yes. They get set apart in June in July or something, and they are here at the MTC for a week or so for some Russian tutoring and training. They seem like great people and they are eager to have more missionaries stay in the mission home in St. Petersburg (the St. Petersburg mission is actually quite large and goes into Frans Josef land, which is past the Arctic Circle... Yup). So yes. They seem more eager for more missionaries in the city, because obviously there are more people. I also found out they do a lot of service in the Hermatage! The GIANT art musuem! Pretty much every week you are in there during service. A perfect form of service for me... I can't wait!
 
Well, other than that, it has been a normal week. Lots of Russian studying and spiritual growth. I teach my first lesson in Russian tomorrow! I am not sure if I am entirely ready. I will be fine though. I can formulate sentences quite well now. I just need to master how to conjugate on the spot and change case endings for my nouns, which, by the way, includes an intensive chart of Russian Grammar rules. Needless to say, it's getting there. I think I am doing quite well for myself considering it has been noted to be the third hardest language for English speakers to learn.
 
So this morning, I got my haircut. It's the shortest it has been in years. Almost a military haircut. I kind of like it. It's funny how things turn out like that, how at one time of my life I didn't wnat my haircut and I liked it long, but now I prefer it short. perhaps that's the mission doing that to me? who knows. But at any rate, it really eccentuates my hairline and thin hair. I butchered that word. Man. My English is going down the HOOOOOPS
 
I will be sending you a written letter soon, mom and dad! I loved your letter Katie. Those Charlie Sheen quotes really made my night. I have a hundred percent success rate.
 
I love you all, and you're in my prayers everyday.
 
Лобовь.
старейшина Текульви

No comments:

Post a Comment