Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Week at the MTC

Hey guys!
I should have told you in my letter that my P-Days are actually Tuesday, so this is when I will be emailing you guys. I have learned a lot in the past week. I can actually read Russian and pray and bear my testimony in Russian. It's really crazy. Remember that Federal Warning Sign after Doctor Zhivago that we tried to read forever, dad? I can probably read it. Well. Sound out the words very poorly and not know what anything means... But nevertheless, I know what the cryllic symbols stand for. It's a really really bizarre language. The H's are N's, the B's are V's, the weird triangle pyramid letters that I cant really do on this keyboard are D's.
My dorm is awesome. I love all the guys here. I really really love my district too. There is a whole bunch of us on one floor all Russian speaking, so it makes it kind of interesting. I try to say as much as I can in Russian to people. (Thank You's, You're Welcomes, Hello, Goodbye, etc.) It's a lot of fun. My companion is Elder Clark, the one who emailed me some weeks ago. He is also going to St. Petersburg as well. He just barely turned 19, so he is the runt of the district. Really hilarious kid though. Love him. My roommates, Elder Johnson and Elder Long, are also great people. They are both companions are going to Russian-Samara mission. Their mission goes into parts of Kazahkstan as well. I found out, the Russia-St. Petersburg Mission is the furthest north Russian mission there is in the Church. Franz Josef Land is WAY WAY up there. It's awesome, but also kind of scary. It's basically the North Pole. There is a picture I walk by everytime I go to the Cafeteria. I call it "A Little Taste of Russia". I will take a picture of it and send it to you guys. It's a real photograph of an Elder baptizing a sister in a FROZEN lake, carved three feet down into the water. It's both hilarious, awesome, and scary.
The MTC Cafeteria... What a place. The food is great, but I will quote a friend about it. "In two weeks you will be surprised by the smells that come from your district". Every single missionary, including the Sisters, suffer from a extreme case of bad gas. I swear, it's uncontrollable... But nevertheless, the food is pretty good. We sit in a part of the cafeteria dubbed "The Iron Curtain". It's where all of the Russian, Ukranian, and Polish speakers go. When I first heard it, I was laughing for five minutes straight. I already gained a few pounds, let me not lie. We have gym everyday though, so I basically run a bit, lift some weights, and then play volleyball. It's a lot of fun because we all equally suck.
My days are incredibly long. I wake up at 6:30, and yes, I am awake. Shower, breakfast, then class for pretty much 14 hours, until 9:30. And then lights out at 10:30. That part is difficult, since we all just want to hang out and relax. My floor is a lot of fun too. We had Fiesta-Noche night, or, in other words, Chips and Salsa night. Apparently it's every monday night, and it's been going on for months, since past older districts. The older district, who are about 6 weeks in, already know so much Russian. It's intimidating. They seem so much older, but the funny thing is that I am older than most of them. Most of the missionaries here graduated in 2010.
I got assigned as Senior Missionary on Thursday, which really doesn't mean anything, since we switch off after 6 weeks. But basically I get to conduct the planning meetings we have everyday at 9:00 and Companion Inventory, which is basically us ragging on what we can do better and what we are doing poorly in a nice way.
The hardest part so far was actually Thursday and Friday. They were incredibly long days, and the first time we checked mail, I didn't get anything when everyone around me got 5 letters each. I soon got over it and got back to focus in class. I eventually got letters from Andy and Sam. It was really nice. I really love em.
The Spirit here in the MTC is so incredibly strong. I love it here. We had a devotional on Sunday night where some MTC president (I am not sure what position he is, but he isn't the MTC president) talked about how life has its turbulence, especially on a mission. It's so true. I have already felt it. It's already been so hard, but already so rewarding. People stood up and shared moments where it was difficult for them here at the MTC, and they had some sad tough stories, but one story that stook out, unfortunately, was when an Elder stood up and said, "I am speaking on behalf of everyone here, but the MTC food here has given us all terrible turbulence.". It's so true.
 We sing and pray in Russia, or Pa-Russki, and we are slowly making some better progress. I had a dream the other night where I prayed in Russian without using any notes, which is something that I have been doing. It's quite difficult remember the words to say. But last night I prayed without out notes and I did a very good job. I was impressed with myself.

This morning, we went to the temple. Their cafeteria is celestial. They have amazing amazing food. It might just top that of Paul's, or even Spanky's, Ryan. It could have very well been that the food at the MTC fails in comparison and this was a true taste of real food. It was DE-LISH!

Oh and Katie, I drink a cup of SOTLET MILT everyday. It's also quite delicious. I love me some Sotlet Milt and Fanta Orange Soda. And nope. No Grape soda here. Or black cherry soda. The forgotton drinks of our times...

Well I the time is running out on the clock on the right hand side of computer. It's blinking in red warning me of the impending doom that is 0:00.

Well I love you guys a lot, and I really miss all of you. It's been somewhat tough here at the MTC, but I know it will be way rewarding. Write me on dearelder.com please :) I can read letters throughout the week but I can only write letters on Tuesdays. So write me lots. I am here for 12 weeks. It's kind of ridiculous. So yes. www.dearelder.com  and then select Provo MTC as the location, and then put in Elder Andrew Tekulve, Russian St. Petersburg Mission, and box number 243. It's all online, free, and they print it off that day and I can read. Letters are what keep my sanity.
So everyone, Please write me. I would love to hear from every single one of you.
P.s: What's Sarah's email address? Forward this to her please  :)
I love you guys,
Elder Tekulve
(Stareshena Tekulve)
Da Svadana!

No comments:

Post a Comment