Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 3!

So i am typing this the real way and not trying to get around the 30 minute cap. So here we go:
 
This week was mainly a week of Russian brain explosion. A lot of things clicked in terms of their grammar, which by the way is absolutely insane. They have so many cases and conjugations and stuff. But what I find really cool is that some of the cases for things, Like Accusative and Dative cases, have implied case meanings for them. For example, "of God" would sound like boga, "to God" would be bogoo, and "with God" would be bog-ye. It looks a lot cooler in acrylic. I have all of the letters in the alphabet about down. I can keep up when we sign hymns, which is awesome. I have come to the realization taht Russian is an absolutely beautiful language, contrary to popular belief. Hymns in Russian sound 500x cooler. Be Still Be Soul is so much better in Russian. Hands down. Come Come Ye Saints is an amazing one in russian as well.
 
This week we had a TRC where we had to teach an investigator again, but we had to introduce ourselves in Russian again and invite ourselves in. I drew a complete mind blank, and it was so frustrating. I couldn't think of what to say. I kept on saying stuff and the investigator would respond "nye ponyamoo" which means that he doesnt understand. I was about ready to explode. I am not gonna worry too much though. The language will come in time. Before we taught the "I DONT UNDERSTAND" fellow, we taught this other lady before. She sounded like a Russian native and she was really nice. I would ask her what she thought about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and she would respond as if she was a member who read the Book of Mormon, which I thought was strange but extremely convienient. After you introduce yourselves in Russian, you basically teach the lesson in English for 30 mins, and i was stuck with the man who didnt understand. Anywho, two elders in my district taught the lady and asked her if she was baptised. She replied Yes... a few days ago. She had just joined the church less than a work earlier and signed up to volunteer at the MTC not knowing she was supposed to be playing a role. It was really awesome and hilarious. She had really poor English, but her testimony was so earnest and sincere.
 
Mom. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PACKAGE!!! I was sooo excited when I received it. I loved all of the ties, and the sweatshirts! it's so nice to have a hoody now. Go Montana and Killer Whales!! I shall forever support those sports teams in which I have no idea who they are. They do just the job for me :) Thanks mama! And thank you for the many other things in the package as well! They were much needed.
 
I made a tie trade of a life time. I hope you know, Dad, that some of your old ties are spreading across the world being worn on many a missionary. I traded for this one tie that's 100 percent lambswool made in Scotland. I call it O'Lanalyn. She is a beaut. Skinny, Crayola Dandalion Blue color, woll tie. It's amazing. I had the Elder sign the tie before he traded. I actually traded three for it. It was most desirous amongst everyone in my district and zone. So I was victorious. (Don't worry. I kept the ones that meant something). I traded the "Peacock" and "Under The Microscope" and "The Imaginarium". A worthy trade? I think so. O'Lanalyn will support me in the cold harsh winds of the Russian Motherland.
 
So I bought a Russian Hymn book this week and embossed it with Elder A. Tekulve. I also embossed my scriptures with the same name. It took a day, and I felt naked without them. It was bizarre. But I got them back, so all is well. I wish I could have embossed them in Russian because it looks way cooler. Like, way way cooler. But they unfortunately didnt have that capability... So biased.
 
I will send you, Mom and Dad, a real letter today as well. I printed out lot's of pictures to show! The machine that I printed them out on was weird and I couldn't figure out how to deselect some pictures, so I printed out 80 something... Whoops. But I shall send you some. I took a picture of my nametag. It looks rad, and I think you might like it too!
 
I got a letter from Br. P sharing some news about Elder Tyler Abbott. I heard some hilarious hilarious hilarious news. 10 year old giving him a ride in the back of his truck? Pure Gold. If you could somehow have Sister Abbott to forward me his updates to his emails, that would be awesome! 3 Weeks for delivery to Mexico is quite a long time. Add another 6 weeks to Russia, and you are looking at 2 months. Yup. It takes about 6 weeks, I hear. But thank goodness for Email, right? It takes a matter of a half a second. Hurray for Technology!
 
So my departure date is May 9th. The day after Mother's Day. I am not sure if they will let me call that Sunday, but for sure on the 9th in the airport. So expect a phonecall from a man bearing a similar voice to both Ryan and Dad on the phone. He's name is Elder Tekulve. Make sure you answer the phone! Should I be risky and call the House, or one of your Cell phones? Let me know as soon as possibles.
 
I heard about what happened in Japan and the coasts of California. I hope everything is alright back at home, and I hope things are being helped in Japan. It's hard to hear what's going on in the real world in the MTC. I am praying everything is alright for them.
 
I best be heading off now. Expect a letter from me soon, Ma and Pa!

I love you all,
 
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment