Monday, October 1, 2012

Back to Novgorod and Mr. Fyodor and TRANSFERS!

Interesting Fact - I am not sure if I told you this one already, but you have to buy your plastic bags. You don't just get plastic bags free for your groceries. You have to tell them how many you want. The grocery store we shop at has awesome plastic bags for 8 rubles, which is maybe 20 cents. We use them as trashbags. Industriousness!

I heard the news. Grandpa and Grandma will be in my prayers, but I am happy that they are safe and in awesome hands, or in other words, under the care of my mom and uncle. Everything will be alright and will work out. I actually learned a new word this morning that means that. Oboidyotsya. It must mean that everything will indeed by okay. Faith in Jesus Christ can heal any wounded soul.

So this week, we had a few exciting things happen. I went on an exchange with another Elder, an Elder Starostin from the city of Penza, Russia. I really enjoy serving with Russian speakers because you just speak Russian all day and all night long. I really find it enjoyable. We met with a few interesting people that day who just love to talk. We met with an older man named Gennady Borisovich on a bench and I think we taught maybe just one principle. I really am not sure, but I just remember we sat quietly and listened to this man tell story after story. He used to serve on a submarine back in the day. Afterwards, we helped the branch help out a less-active member in need and then had an hour and a half to find people. We have a mission standard of talking to at least 10 people a day and inviting them to hear more. It's not terribly difficult, but we had service that morning, so we didnt have much to find people. We had an hour and a half to talk to 10 people, EACH. It was a great teaching moment because he kept on doubting, but I was persistent that we were going to achieve that. It was a very action packed 90 minutes, going to person to person and trying to start a conversation or share our message. Of course there were rejectors, but in the end, at 8:55, 5 minutes for the end of the night, we received our 10 contacts for the night.

We got a call the next day from our mission president, saying that we had to go back down to Novgorod because of an emergency. It is part of my district but it is still 4 hours away (I was so hoping not having to go back there because of the intense bumpy bus ride back). There are two elders who are being bothered by this man on the street regularly. President Clark wanted us four in Pskov to go down and do an emergency transfer of Elders and do 3 there and 3 here. An Elder Sherman from Colorado is serving here in Pskov and he got called to serve in Novgorod in a threesome down there. The great thing is he is quite the buff guy, so President sent him to Novgorod to get that guy to stop bothering the missionaries. So we get to Novgorod, ate a McDonalds, and turned around back home. 

So right now it is a threesome here in Pskov. Elder Barrett and Elder Starostin. It is a pretty hilarious dynamic trio. On Saturday, we got our transfer calls and I am staying here in Pskov and my companion will be Elder Sherman! What do you know! There is a lot of new organizational changes in the mission now that there is a Stake here in St. Pete. There are going to be more missionaries outside of the city, so they organized 3 more zones to prepare for more missionaries to be sent here to this mission. They made Pskov and Novgorod it's own zone (Zone is bigger than a district. District invovles about 4-6 missionaries and there is one District leader. A zone involves anywhere from 12-25 missionaries and involves multiple districts). So I got called... again. to be a zone leader. Haha, I thought I was done, but I guess not. So I am going to be a zone leader with Elder Sherman, but I am still a District Leader in Pskov. So we will see what happens haha. I am excited and looking forward to my next few transfers here. I love Pskov!

That is about it for this week. I am going to email my Grandpa because he is my hero and I love him.
Love,
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment