Thursday, June 28, 2012

Week 70 - Crazy Week of Conferences and Exchanges

Interesting Fact # 70 - The standard size for paper in Russia is A4, which is slightly bigger than the American sized paper. A really boring interesting fact, I know, but still, a fact nonetheless.

So this week was pretty crazy. It felt like I was going all over the place. We had to make some exchanges with some of the elders because of conferences, and I found myself with a different Elder every single day. It felt like I was running all over St. Petersburg and some of the outside little towns like Gatchina. Unfortunately, a lot of my time was consumed in these exchanges, travelling, organizing, and conducting conferences. This is my 5th conference this month. I am fairly conferenced out. But the great thing is about all of these conferences, is that I get to learn something new from each one, even if the same material gets repeated. I find something new from each conference. Oh and last Saturday, I found myself back in my old area on Vasilevskiy Island, where I served last fall. I loved that little island, and I still do today. I have a lot of good memories there.

We had several miracles occur this last week. First off, in of the exchanges I had an exchange with an Elder Starostin (a new missionary who flew in a few weeks ago). We had a meeting set up with a new investigator which didn't pan out, so we went out finding out on the streets of Peter. Granted, trying to contact and talk to people on busy streets gets pretty intense due to the fact that it is PACKED all of the time. To some it's a hassle, to a few it's fun. I am one of the few that like it. Well, I kind of need to explain housing set up in St. Petersburg. So in every street there are apartment buildings in which you can enter from a center courtyard which has gated entrance into the street. So on the streets you pass stores, but on the other floors of the same building are apartments. So as we were walking down a street, I looked down one of the entrances that lead to a courtyard of apartments. I just had a strong feeling to go there and knock on doors. It was a weird but comfortable feeling. My companion that day, Elder Starostin, had never gone tracting, so I decided to show the ropes. The first set of apartments we knocked on, no one answered. So we went for the next set and then finally someone answered but weren't interested. So we continued and it was Elder Starostin's turn and he called on the outer European apartment dom-a-phone and called apartment number 8. A man answered, and Elder Starostin told him that we have a message about God and that he should open the door. Next thing you know, the door opens and we are talking to him. His mom had just died that week and she was cremated the day before. The man was just a mess but wanted help. We told him about the plan of salvation and shared some scriptures from Alma 40. I looked into my bag and thought I only had a Gospel of Jesus Christ pamphlett so I didn't bother to pull it out. But talking to him some more, I wanted to give himself to read before we come back, so I pulled it out and it just so happened to be a Plan of Salvation pamphlet that we randomly had. So I thought that was pretty cool that everything just worked out that day. I really felt like an instrument in the Lord's hands. It was an amazing feeling, and before we left we could tell that the man was touched by our message.

Well the work goes on and the more it does, the more I realize this really is the Lord's work. This is the only True and Living Church of Jesus Christ, and His work will go on one heart at a time!

I love you all,
Love,
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment