Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Week 46 - A New Year, an Empty Street, and a Thanskgiving Turkey

Interesting Fact #46 - New Years is by far the biggest holiday here in Russia. Moreso than Christmas, Victory Day, and the rest of their various many holidays. They celebrate with cartloads of fireworks, which indeed woke me up in the middle of the night. 

Well we had an interesting week, that's for sure. Still a lot of finding here in this area. We have a lot less time than the rest of the missionaries because of some of the stuff we have to do, but at the same time, it's still usual missionary work. We had only a few meetings this week with our investigators. One of which, I talked to on the metro a few weeks ago. He was a really nice man who was really sincerely interested in our message. I got his number a while ago and I called he was really eager to meet. We met in the center of the city, by all the sights, and we took a nice walk with him around the city in the more quiet parts. He is one of the nicest guys I have met here in the city. Cares a lot about his family, absolutely loves them, and absolutely loves his work as a art historian. The thing is he grew up being told that God didn't exist. He honestly expresses such genuine interest, and I am excited to teach him some more. 

We met with another one of our investigators this week named Igor (a very common name here. I am sure you have lost track of all the Igors I am talking about). We met at the branch building and he is just the opposite than the other man in terms of beliefs. He is a genuine guy and really polite but he lives and breaths Russian Orthodox because that is the only thing he was taught. So it's interesting seeing the contrast of beliefs here. But all in all, it makes it much more exciting. His meeting was an awesome one. We taught him the first lesson and answered a lot of his questions. He read a little bit of the Book of Mormon and has very genuine questions about it, which really shows he is interested. A really solid guy. I am excited to work with him some more.

This weekend, because of the New Years, we had to be inside during the celebrations. On Saturday, we had to go in early for the night because of the celebrations in the street. So we got back and I attempted to make Stuffing with a lot of success. On New Years Day, we usually weren't allowed out of our apartment, but President Clark didn't want for us to waste a whole day. So we just had to be back in by 3:30 after church. So Elder Hill and I, curious, set off to go find some people in the morning. We went to Nevskiy Prospect. It was almost empty. A few people here and there, but it was almost something off the Road. All that was really left were small piles of trash and bottles. Sure evidence of a Russian celebration. The night before, I woke up to fireworks that sounded like they were right outside my apartment. I got up and looked out the window (which has an AMAZING view of the river dividing the east part of Petersburg with the Center part) and all I could see were fireworks going off everyway. It was quite the sight. I think they were going off until about 3 or something like that. 

After church, Elder Hill and I met up with the Elders who serve in the Mission Office and we made a turkey. I have never attempted such a feat, but somehow, after 3 and a half hours of sweating labor, out came an amazing, juicy, perfectly cooked turkey with stuffing and mashed potatoes. So needless to say, I guess I celebrated Thanksgiving 2 months later. After I pulled out the turkey, I splured out the words, "Elder Hill! I'm only 20 years old and I made a turkey!". Good times they were. Good times they are.

Well I hope that the coming of the new year has put some things into your perspective. The New Year is always a great way to start on something new, or to change something that already existed, or to improve on something that lacked. I have set some goals this new years to help me develop into the missionary that I want to be, and also to help and further love those whom I teach, with whom I serve, and to grow a deeper love for the Lord and His work that is before me. I hope that this new year will provide everyone with blessings for a better life! I love you all.

Love,
Elder Tekulve

P.S.: I wrote this on a computer inside the Hermitage. In 20 minutes, I get to go through my first time! My dream! 

No comments:

Post a Comment