Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 38! - Schuvoaovo! and District Conference

Interesting Fact #38 - The one thing that I thought was interesting this week that Russian Wallpaper is really ornate. I noticed it before, but I never made mention of it. It's really really ornate, shiney, and full of cool patterns and such. Yeah. Interesting, I know!

Well this week was a rather crazy, busy one. I went to Estonia again on Wednesday, which proved to be uneventful (We were only there for like 20 minutes to only back into Russia with our new visa). Every 3 months we are to have a visa trip. They have always been to Estonia for us Americans, but President Clark wants us to go to Finland at least once while we are out here to go through the Helsinki Temple. Maybe in 3 months I will go to Finland? I have become quite the traveller. After I got back from Estonia (which was about a 2 or 2.5 hour drive), I grabbed my suitcases and headed to Shuvalovo, which is right north of the city. It's still in the city. It's much much different than the center. The center felt a lot more run-down in some areas, but this area is a lot nicer. Our apartment is in this massive new apartment complex on the 8th floor. THere are 20 or so floors with an incredible view. 

My companion is awesome. Elder Scherbina. Such a stud. He is from Ukriane, like I said last week. I don't think I have had a companion who is as busy and hard-working as he is. It's great. We planned out our exchanges for this transfer, and there will be about 9 total in 6 weeks. I get to fly to Kaliningrad for one of them, and take a 7 hour train ride north to Petrozavodzk. I am way excited too. I also get to back to Vyborg for a day, and that I am excited for. 

It hasn't snowed yet, which is really surprising. I have been reading that it has been snowing in Utah and California. Not here... yet.. Well granted, It did snow one day, but it didn't stick. I guess I better knock on wood. 

While here, we visited a less active named Anatoli who is blind. We get there and we just talked to about his life and about the scriptures. We read a little bit from the Book of Mormon, and then gave him a blessing. He has a lot of health problems and it was really difficult for him to just get up for us to bless him. He lied down on the couch as we talked with him. We then met with another less active named Myagkishev, who is a little old man who is ADHD. It was so funny. Just running around and talking about all sorts of things. He also is a fantastic painter and paints LDS temples around the world and sells them. He has painted about 20 - 25 different portraits of temples. He invited him to District Conference (or Stake conference if there was a stake here) and he came! During District Conference, we talked about why we need a stake and what it would bring to the members here in St. Petersburg. It was way interesting. President Clark (who is also considered the stake president here) had a way interesting conversation during Priesthood session. The members basically explained themselves why a stake is necessary, and the most important fact about a stake is that with a stake, a temple can be built. 

This weekend, we also helped this little old lady named Raisa come to chuch. She is probably 3 foot 10 and in a wheelchair, and it was just kind of fun helping her down there stairs and into a car. It was also nice to be in a car for once ha. Oh yeah, on Saturday, the sisters in our district had a baptismal service for this girl named Yulia, who was found through the institute program. She has been going to institute, not a member, missionaries taught her, and now she is baptized. The power of the book of mormon! It just goes to show that this is the Lord's church, and that this is also the Kingdom of God once again established on the foundations of prophets in this last dispensation. The church is true. And that's all I need to say.

Well that was the week so far, until next time! or "Do Svedaniya!" as they say. I love you all, and you are all in my prayers. 

До Сведания
Старейшина Текольви

No comments:

Post a Comment