Monday, October 3, 2011

Week 33 - The Adventures at the Center Reenuk! and PICTURES!


Interesting Fact #33: Рынки, or Markets, are these large outdoor swap meets almost. We went to the biggest one here in St. Petersburg, called the Center Reenuk (Рынок). It basically felt like I was in Uzbekistan in some sort of bizarre bazaar. Everyone goes and sells stuff there. Emphasis on the word stuff. You will find anything and everything. Almost. But yeah, Reenoks are the life blood of purchased goods. 

But to add about that reenok experience, was that we get there and we are just stunned. Then this man named SHAQBOSS (I kid you not) came up to us and led us the way to coats. I kept on telling him I wanted a coat with a fur hood, but he kept on insisting that I get this leather coat with fur inside. He said that I looked like a stud in it. I finally told him exactly what I wanted and he led us on this excursion through the market to find the coat section. Needless to say, I got my coat, and I am happy. It's a nice thick coat with a fur lined hood. It's recommended to get that because It helps block out the wind and snow. Yeepee!

This week we had to pass off our investigator, Sergey, to another set of Elders. It was a tough little passing off. I really liked the kid, but he lived south of the city, in Avtovo. So I called up my good friend ELDER CLARK (remember him from the MTC?) and we had a joint meeting with Sergey. They are going to meet with him tonight. Since we have two sets of Elders in our area, we are trying to split up who gets who from our branch. We passed off one of our investigators who lives closer to the other elders. He is so close to a baptismal date, but whatever reason, him and his family haven't been able to meet with us for a few weeks. 

Another exciting part about this week was that we met with one of less-actives, whom I have been trying to meet with for 2 months now, named Fy! He is such a cool guy. He moved here from China 3 years ago to study here. The elders found him soon after and he got baptized. He has such a strong testimony, but it's just hard for him to go to church because he lives so far away. That's what I have noticed about the church here. Transportation can take up to an hour or more within the city. It's such a big city, and the church building is right east of the center. I takes us about 45 minutes to get to church via metro. But with Fy, we talked to him about being an example to those around him and he told us he wants to start going to church and institute again. He also invited us, and the Senior couple, Elder and Sister McArthur to lunch with him this Friday! He wants to make us some authentic Chinese food. Apparently he is quite the chef too. 

We had a very interesting and rather cool meeting with our good pal George this week. He had told us that he wants to take a break from us, but we insisted that we wanted to meet again. We met with him this last week, and it was just such a great lesson with him. We talked about the Holy Ghost and how it can by constant companion after baptism, and that through the Holy Ghost we can be protected spiritually and physically. Afterwords, he just kept on asking what he needs to do. His problem is that he thinks that changing religions isn't Russian, but we are working with him to realize that by being baptized  it doesn't make him any less Russian. But it was a really good lesson, because he no longer feels like he wants to take a break. He has been reading a lot from the Book of Mormon. He is already in Jacob now, and I am sure he is even further. I just know the more he reads, the more he prays, the more he will know the truth. 

Well I hear great things about this Half Dome trip, and I am quite proud of you all. I hope you recorded General Conference though! Really though. It's not being broadcasted until this next weekend here in Russia. I am absolutely so excited to hear it. They are going to have an English one as well so I can heard the original voices of them all. Success!

Well I love you all, and I pray that you all are enjoying life. Life really is a blessing. 

Love,
Elder Tekulve

Estonia! This was during my visa trip there, and again, there were castles galore and stuff. 
Vyborg - The Nedelev brothers. They were some of the coolest kids in Vyborg in the branch. 
again, Vyborg. With the Martaler's on the right, and Misha Dobgylavich on the left.
This one is with an investigator I taught in Vyborg, named Edward Arsyonov. He was baptized on the 20th of August.
                                 is in Vyborg still at some sort of statue and stuff. This was in July I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment