Friday, September 2, 2011

With a Whole Bunch o' Borsh


Interesting Fact # 27 - Clothes in general in Russia are really expensive. I looked for a winter coat last week, and it took a long time to find a decently priced coat. I kept on running into 20,000+ ruble coats. There was this one leather coat that was 40,000 rubles. I think it's 28 rubles to a dollar, so you can do the math.

I had my first zone conference in the field! Aren't those interesting. Actually they are. They fed us subway, and Sister Clark (President Clark's wife) made us cookies, always an amazing treat. But we are changing the way we do things a little bit here in St. Petersburg. We are focusing a lot on working with less actives and investigators at the same time. We have been working with a few inactives, one of which loves to meet with us. His name is Vladimir Denisov. Such a nice guy. We have come over about once a week, and he really wants us to help his friend quit drinking. Gladly! We are developing a really solid friendship with Vladimir, and every time we have invited him to come to church with us. He also is very appreciative and thankful for our invitation and knows we will not stop doing so, but that doesn't dent our relationship with him. 

This last week, we meet with our new investigator George, or Gyorgy in Russian. He speaks English as well, so it's definitely really helpful. We met with him yesterday and we asked him to be baptized. He will think and pray about it, he said. He came to church with us this last Sunday. The problem is that he has Multiple Sclurosis? I don't know how to spell that, but anywho, it's really difficult for him to go around. He is on a cane and stuff, but we walked with him from the Metro station to the branch, which is maybe a mile away? I don't know for sure. But he was exhausted at church. But the cool thing is that he wants to come again and bring his friend who is been interested in religions. Again, I say, Gladly!

We made a big batch of Borsh this week. I made somewhat differently because we didnt have oil. It was Elder Pace's first experience of Borsh, and I felt like it was a bit underwhelming. I have made better before. No but really though. Russian food. Absolutely amazing. I guess it was that blessing from President Francis that the food I eat will taste sweet. I am obsessed with Russian foods. My motto that I have so far in the field is from 1 Corinthians 10:27: "...whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake." Yup. So far, it's been great.

The city is still beautiful. I sometimes forget that I am in such an old city. I will be walking to the Hermitage, yeah the Hermitage which an old Victorain HUGE Winter Palace building, and I will pass all these cathedrals and think nothing of it. But then I realize, "Oh my goodness. This city is beautiful." It's quite a busy city too. In fact, it's really busy. Walking down the sidewalk is ridiculous, weaving in and out of people. It's the worst when you are in a hurry to a meeting or appointment and there so many people.

We have been asking everyone we see for referrals to see if they know anyone that would be interested in our message. I know it will work and be successful soon, but right it's not the right time. Doesn't mean we won't stop asking. Even people in the street, we ask them too. There was this one time where I was talking to this lady and who claimed that I am only here to add more wives to my already endless collections wives. I obviously told her that I am here to preach the gospel but she would not believe me. I found the incident rather hilarious, to be honest. I asked for her a referral and she kind of just walked away. We've seen her a few times with the same ridiculous accusations. 

Well things are going well here. I am learning and figuring out the area better. I know that you don't take Bus 9 to get the Metro, but if you want to get to the other end of the Island, you got to get off before Universtat Prospekt or the next stop will be a mile or two away. Also, don't run inside the metro trying to risk getting on before the doors close when your companion is a bit slower than you. The doors closed on us while I was inside and he was outside. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy. I went straight back to the last station where he was at, but now I know just not to risk it. Again, I thought it was hilarious. 

I hope Lake Powell is just as amazing as I remember it as. I got those pictures from Mom and there were a few of just Lake Powell and it twas marvelous. They provide great stories for investigators or members. Yeah. This is Lake Powell. The Lake of Dreams. 

I Love you all, and I am so thankful for everyone's support.
Love,
Elder Tekulve

P.S.: I guess it's been 6 months already. That was fast. Way too fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment