Friday, June 24, 2011

Tekulve Slop

Interesting Fact # 5: I have seen many babooshkas with purple hair. Not sure why, they just do.


And so I can line up with the fact numbers and the weeks, Interesting Fact # 6: - Some of the nicest places you will ever go to are in the metros. They have marble walls, floors, statues, stained glass windows, beautiful paintings, the works. It's like a museum, you can't touch anything. Not really.

That was the fastest 6 weeks of my life, which in return, was a very fast transfer period. Every 6 weeks we have transfers, where we get new areas and new companions. Well I am still here in Viborg, which I am totally happy with. This area is amazing. I really love it here, and I love the branch. That was Elder Hunt's last transfer on his mission, so right now he is probably flying over the Atlantic Ocean. That's so weird to think about. I'm sorry to say for those of you who miss me, but I am so glad I am still here serving. I really like missionary work.

Well I got a new companion this transfer... He is a very... interesting individual, as I have so far have come to find out. I have been with him for about 20 hours now, and it's been an intense 20 hours, let me tell you. He is a great guy, and has a great spirit about missionary work. But when I got my transfer call on Monday and got assigned to him, it was kind of a surprise. I remember reading Elder Abbott's experience about how he got this one elder who everyone said "Ooohhh" about when he gets assigned someone. I mean, Elder Balbanov is a great great guy. Do not get me wrong. But I have come to realize that there are just some personalities, some mannerisms, and some interests that do not combine well with others. He does things his way and sometimes they just don't make any sense at all, but another elder that served with him just said to let him do what he needs to do. I will come out of this transfer being perhaps the most patient man in the world. Ladies, in 2 years, watch out. 

Well with that aside, I finished my last week with Elder Hunt really well. That guy is a champ. He worked insanely hard until the very last minute. He taught me a lot of what I need to know. There will be times where I just want to rip off my head. I am well aware. But I just gotta stick through it. He helped a lot for me to realize that. When Elder Nelson came to speak to us, his wife also spoke. She basically said, "You're mission should be horrible. It should be terrible. It should be the hardest thing you have ever done." I have come to acknowledge that it will. I can't just sail through this mission expecting instant success. She wasn't saying that to intimidate us, but to encourage us rather, to, for a lack of a better term, work our butts off. I shall do just that.

Well stories from this week. Let's see: After we shopped for groceries last week, we hopped into a taxi. Taxi drivers in Russia are bit insane. No regard for lanes, direction of traffic, or many traffic laws for that matter. I feared for my life this taxi ride. It was kind of crazy. But the thing is, Taxis are essential for missionaries if they are running out of time, or, in this case, carrying 50 kilograms of groceries. (I don't remember what a pound is). I thought it was pretty funny recalling back to that experience. Just another astonishing moment experiencing the differences here in Russia.

We made some fantastic meals this week. I am quite proud. We were told this recipe for Coca Cola Chicken. Naturally, we attempt to make it. It was one of the best things I have eaten here. So delicious. It is exactly how it sounds: Chicken cooked with Coke. We made a meal that I made up called "Tekulve Slop" this week. It became one of Elder Hunt's favorites. It was my attempts to make a Shepard's Pie, but it reallly was just chicken, mashed potatoes, veggies, and gravy. We also finished the week off with homemade Breakfast Burritos and a Chicken Pot Pie. We are professional chefs. No big. 

Speaking of food, I had my first encounter of Missionary Food Packing. On Monday, we ate a huge batch of Tekulve Slop. Afterwards we had 3 subsequent meetings with people. Each person or family we met with fed us something. I know I told you we can't eat at members houses, but that rule was about meals. They fed us some tea and cookies and fruit salads and cakes and such. It stuffed us silly. I felt destroyed after our meetings that day, but it was still pretty funny. I can recall another time where I read Elder Abbott's email where he got destroyed by food one time. Such is life as a missionary.

We had some more success with investigators. We got a few of them to teach this week. One fellow came to family night by himself and sat for the lesson there. We are meeting with him again tonight after P-Day ends. His name is Byegeli who is from Uzbekistan. Great great man. His name translated from Russian means "To have ran". Very strange, but then again, it aint a Russian name. Things are slowly making more progress here in Viborg. It shall increase exponentially. I know it. 

Well that's about it for me. Just pray that I can have some crazy solid patience this transfer. I might just need it. 

I love you all,
Elder Tekulve.

No comments:

Post a Comment