Thursday, June 30, 2011

Russia and stuff

Well. I survived a week...

Interesting Fact #7: Well, I hope I can still keep this up every week since I am in here, but here we go. The interesting fact this week is about the light for the bathroom. I'm sorry I so easily jump to talking about bathroom talk, but's it interesting. Every single place I have seen, the light for the bathroom is outside the bathroom. It's on the wall outside the door. So at any time someone can turn the light off on you...

Well yes. Like I said. I survived a week. A lot of calm talking, and a lot of quietly getting my point across. He really ain't that bad of a companion. He totally rocks in lessons, and he contacts on the street like a pro. It's just the whole sharing-an-apartment-thing with him that makes it difficult. Let's just say that I have come to really realize that I am, indeed, a clean and organized person now. Mom, remember those days where my room was a mess? I promise those days are long over. If anyone remembers the time where I dormed with Bryan Collins my first semester at BYU, they can remember that I got lazier and lazier and my side of the room became just as worst as Bryan's side and it was a disaster. That nonesense is long gone. I find that I can't manage in unorganized places. It's kind of weird but true, and also kinda funny. It always reminds me of this talk I heard in the MTC: "The Spirit doesn't dwell in messy unorganized places". I forgot who said it, but it stuck, and I always think that. I am a little Mr. Clean now, minus the shiny scalp and minus the mus-kills.

Anywho, this week has just been interesting. A weird transitional one. Just trying to get used to Elder Balabanov, and his leadership, and just trying to get a tackle on this language. I have been doing most of the phone calls, which 2 weeks I was completely unable to do. I am beginning to understand a lot better, but I am no way comfortable with the language. I have the hardest time trying to speak than I do understanding it. But such will come. It just takes time and practice, and I have been practicing a lot with Elder Balabanov. He is from some city south of Rostov, Russia, or something like that. A very very very interesting guy. Keyword: very interesting.

But all and all, I am seeing this as a time to continue developing myself. To continue making myself a better person. Yes there were times already where my head was going to steam over, but I am growing, and I am learning how to be much more patient than I already was.

Well I think the most noteable thing \this week was that the branch here had a picnic. The thing was, however, was that as soon as we met together and left, it started to rain. It didn't just rain, though. It poured. And poured.. And lightnings and thunderings and all that great stuff. It was pretty awesome. But then, it just stopped. Gone. No more. So strange. But we all got together as a branch and hung out. I had to organize a frisbee golf game. I suppose all that work at Camelot working the mini gold paid off. That was just interesting. Trying to explain that to old Russians was pretty amusing.

Another noteable thing was that our Zone Leaders came to Vyborg on exchanges. The whole city of Vyborg has two missionaries, and I am one of them. So I hardly have seen other missionaries. I go back to St. Petersburg maybe 3 times a transfer (6 weeks), but I cherish every change I get to be with other missionaries. I went on a transfer with one of them and we go contacted. He had never seen the castle, so I took him to go see it. He really enjooyed it. And then we came back and we ate ice cream. I have to admit, Russia has some really tasty sweets. If you put some cookies, waffle-things, and icecream together, you got yourself some ambrosia, right there.
 
Another exciting note was that our recent convert, Igor Shevchenko, moved back from Svetagorsk. He is not longer working there as a pizza chef. I mean that's bad for him. He needs to look for a nother job and jobs are very limited here. But good for us in he sense that we can meet with him more. I pray things will continue to go well for him.

On Sunday, Yana (the girl in the wheelchair) wanted us to go take her to Church. So we did. I don't think I have ever sweated that much in my life. The weather here is pretty dang hot. You don't get burned or sunburned or anything, you just start pouring out sweat. That's a 100 percent humidity for you. But it was nice to have at church. Everyone at the branch really fellowshipped her. She loves the support of the branch. I don't blame her. The Vyborg branch is amazing. Speaking of which, I was talking to the Ward Mission Leader here, and I was talking to him about past missionaries. He remembers an Elder Thomas. He also said that he was one of the only missionaries he has heard speak that good of Russian. Good job Jason. 

Anywho. That's my week. I really enjoyed the pictures Katie. I am still quite confused about the first one, but I will let it slide for now. It looks like the make-yourself-look-old machine at Disneyland. 

Well I love you all. I pray for you all the time. 
Well, Gotta run!
All the best,
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment