Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5 more days in the MTC

Not too much happened this week besides the fact that time is WINDING down here at the MTC. Yup. It's true. 5 more days and I am in the Motherland of Russia. Last Thursday I got my travel plans to St. Petersburg. They are as follows: Meet at the MTC Travel Office at 4 am. Flight in SLC at 7:05 to Chicago. 6 Hour Layover and then from Chicago I go to London. 3 Hour Layover there, and then a flight from there to ST. PETERSBURG!! I hear in the Chicago Airport they have a Chipotle there. You don't understand. I have been deprived of half-decent food for almost 3 months here in the MTC. So I am might just treat myself while I am in that airport. Oh, and yes. I was partially right when I said I would be going to Chicago for my mission. Maybe I will have time to go to the Art Museum and have Dream Academy play as I wander around the place observing art. Perhaps I will have a mind explosion while looking at this girl with an umbrella on a painting and have it zoom in to the fibers of the piece. Maybe I will have time to go to a Cubs Game as well, and make it back home in time before Mr. Rooney catches me... Maybe not.
 
Anywho. I am unbelievably excited to go Russia. I have tried countless times to talk to natives and it's very difficult to understand what they are saying, but I know that will come while being submersed in the language fully. I know it will be difficult, but it will come. I seem to understand fluent speakers perfectly. I know exactly what they are saying, but once a native opens his mouth, it's complete nonesense to me. I just figure that it will just click one day. I know it will. With that aside, I feel like I am totally ready. I am ready to be in St. Petersburg. The more I think about it, the more I want to be there right now. It's soooo different culturally, but I am excited. I don't remember if I shared somethings about the Russian culture with you or not, but here I go. First off, it's very very rude to whistle indoors. They believe that if you do, you are whistling their money away. Also, they do not like to shake hands over thresholds, meaning the space between inside and oustide, ala doorframe. They find it very offense if you shake someones hand through a door, to put it simply. They also are very quiet people outdoors. When they are in public, they feel it's rude to be loud, so which explains why they seem to pick out Americans easily because apparently we are loud? Also they have superstitions about the number of flowers you give them. (I don't plan to, but it's an interesting example of their culture). If you give them odd numbers, i believe, it symbolizes death and funerals. Even numbers are for welcoming and homecoming. It could be the other way around, I don't know. But I thought it was very interesting.
 
What else happened this week? To be honest, I don't really remember. I have been so excited to go, that I have kind of been not remembering what's been happening during the day. We got new schedules like I said last week, but our laundry time got changed as well, and it's seriously a fight for a washing machine. It was a madhouse last wednesday. It was COMPLETELY full, and it took me almost 2 hours to finish my laundry. It was pretty reasonable, I believe. We are 30+ minutes late to class to our TRC. They have since changed it, so now it's at an earlier, less hectic time. BUT, they also changed our weekly service time, so now that's at 5 pm, an hour before class. The person making the schedule definitely received mental inspiration scheduling out these things.. Ha.
 
I am not too worried or down about it. I figured, this is my last week, so there really is nothing to complain about. It stinks to be those who now have to deal with it for the next 6 weeks. So I am not too complaint about it. I hope that was an adjective. Complaint. Nope. Doesn't sound like it. My English is getting worst. It really is, but that's a good sign I suppose. It's crazy to see how much I have progressed in the language from 6 weeks ago when the older districts left. I feel like I can keep a decent conversation with someone in Russian, although as broken as it maybe. It's just kind of cool to see my own progression. I know I still have a LOT more to improve on, but I know that doesn't really come until actually being in the field. So I am not too worried.
 
Oh yeah! Elder Mockler came into the MTC this week and it was most glorious. I waited outside for him as he came out of one of the buildings. It was most choice. I see him all the time and it's so awesome to be able to talk to him. He's way excited for Malaga Spain. He, fortunately, goes to go the Madrid MTC in 2 weeks. Lucky dog. But Spain seems to be like the perfect place for him.
 
A few things: Family: Email me now, because I am not sure dearelder will work in Russia. I hear things that it is free and I can get it in Russia, but I am not terribly sure. As for my mission address, I will make sure I will send an email with it next week. Also, I am not going to be able to call you, Mom, on Mother's Day. BUT! When I am in Chicago, I will be able to call you. That will be around maybe Noonish Chicago time, but I am not really sure what that acquaites too in Pacific time. So expect some sort of call! Oh as for packing. I have started and I feel like I will be fine in terms of weight. I am going to do a dry run to see if everything will fight, and if not. Expect a package from me with some stuff in it :)
 
Thanks everyone for being so loving and awesome. All those letters and dearelders and treats will brought up my spirits. The MTC is a place of crazy change, and it's sometimes overwhelming. Those letters and treats were much needed to say the least. Thank you all, and I love you so much. Especially you, my family.
 
Love,
Elder Tekulve
 Oh yeah, and to add. I got sunburnt last wednesday by writing and hanging outside. I thought it was pretty hilarious. My skin hasn't seen the sun in quite some time. I will be going to Russian during the white night months. SUn all the time! and then no sun for aw while!!

No comments:

Post a Comment