Wednesday, April 27, 2011

1 week and 5 days til St. Petersburg

I bet you were all wondering: Where was my email yesterday? So they changed all of our schedules here at the MTC, like completely changed it. We have P-days on Wednesday now, and now we have classes at different times and stuff. It's not too bad really, just gotta take some time to udjust. But yes, in one week, and in 5 days I will be on an airplane, not sure when I will be back again, as mr. John Denver sings quite perfectly. But yes. I am going to Russia very very soon. I will probably get my flight plans sometime tomorrow.... You don't understand how excited I am to go. I have been at the MTC far too long, but at the same time, not long enough.
 
Xpиcтoc Bоскрес!! So Happy Easter everyone!! I hope everyone had an amazing and beautiful easter. I found out that that is Russia's favorite holiday, even more so than Christmas, which they celebrate in January I believe. On Easter, everyone goes around and says Xpиcтoc Bоскрес, which means Christ has Risen! Everyone then responds with Воистину Bоскрес! Which means Indeed he is Risen! I think that it's kind of awesome that they love that holiday. It's seriously such a big deal there. I will get to experience one Easter in Russia and I know it will be awesome. They love to decorate their eggs quite extravagantly with Icons and stuff. It's really interesting.

So on Easter, I wrote a talk about the Resurection and went to church in my branch. We have to write talks every week and I have been writing mine in Russian for the past 5 weeks. They call you on the spot to give a talk during Sacrament Meeting, and mine wasn't terribly great, so that was good. I had to say the Sacrament Prayer though in Russian, and that was really fun. Afterwards, we had a speaker come to speak to us as they usually during on Sunday Nights. It was President Stephan B. Allen, who just got called as a Seventy I believe. He used to be a Executive Producer for commercials and he used to make a lot of commercials for the Church in the 80s and 70s about the Homefront. He showed us a few and they were seriously the funniset things ever. If you can find them on youtube, do it. They were absolutely hilarious. Cheasy Montages and such.
 
Ok so for the nitty gritty. This has been by far my best week here in the MTC. I really am not here long enough, and quite arguably just long enough. On Tuesdays we have Devotionals where speakers come and speak to us. They have always been way awesome as General Authorities come and speak to us. But last Tuesday, we had a special guest come. It was Elder Richard G. Scott who spoke to us. Completely unexpected. As soon as he walked in the to the room to speak to us, the room filled with the Spirit. You could just feel it. He was a little slow at speach, but it was by far my favorite talk by him and so far in the MTC. Towards the end of his talk, he asked who was all learning a foreign language. Over 70 percent of us in the room rose are hands. Probably close to a 1100 of us. He then blessed us with his power and authority as an Apostle with the Gift of Tongues. It was seriously the answers to my prayers with help with this language. Russian is one of the toughest things ever to get down, but that gave me hope and encouragement to continue on. He blessed us. An Apostolic Blessing. How awesome is that? That's not at all, so yesterday, we have another MTC Devotional because it was Tuesday night. No one thought we would get another Apostle anytime soon. Nope. Elder Dallin H. Oaks came yesterday and spoke to us about our purpose as missionaries more deeply. He told us that we are here to change, acheive, and to become, and that's exactly what I have been striving to do. I am trying to change myself so that I can be a better missionary, I am trying to acheive so that I can be fluent in this stupid (but beautiful and awesome) language, and I am trying to become what the Lord want's of me. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been no easy ride. Ups and Downs just in the MTC alone, but I know that I was blessed to be here this long to hear both of those Apostles speak to us.
 
Now for the small, less important, but still important details. Well, I got meself a cold this last week and it took me all week to recover. I still went to class everyday. I forced myself... but I may have gotten a sister in my district sick too.. Whoops, my apologies. But, last week I hosted for the first time on Wednesday. It was kind of a downer, because the missionary I hosted was super down and sad about being here. I thought to myself, "What the heck!? You're going on a mission! Cheer up Charlie!" It made me remember when I got dropped off and how eager and excited I was to get going. Probably was too excited. Sorry Mom and Dad if my goodbye wasn't long enough. Don't think that I don't miss you everyday, because I do miss you, and I know I am not supposed to say that, but it 'tis true. So sorry if I just kind of ran offf....... BUT! I was still excited and I still am excited. So don't you worry, ma and pa!
 
There has been a lot of changes here at the MTC. They are getting rid of some programs, adding new ones, changing schedules, building buildings, yada yada yada. At the cafetaria, they have close down 2/3s of it and only have one line open and it's always super packed. We have to fight everyday to sit at the Iron Curtain. Like I said weeks prior, we Russian missionaries, are a unique breed. Definitely like the grandpas and grandmas of the MTC. We know it inside and out, and we don't do well with immense changes. To be honest though, I actually kind of like the new changes so far. The schedule is more structured, which I need.

After Elder Oaks blessing, I have been able to understand Russian much better I find. Listening is definitely the most difficult part for me, but I feel like I have been able to understand more, which is absolutely awesome. I just need to continue to work, and I will be fluent in no time :) Right now, though, I am not enough close. It's like digging at a mountain with a spoon, but with each spoon full, it's exponentially more. It starts slowly, and the comes super fast. That super fast part will be in St Petersburg.
 
Well, I am off to go to the Temple right now and do Laundry. Andy Mockler comes into the MTC in 4 hours. I honestly cannot awit. I am supposed to host today, but my district doesn't want to because it's P-Day, but I will wait for him outside the administration building. So far, I have Elder Rooney, Elder Kakishita, and Elder Birgham Madsen here at the MTC that I own and many more. Elder Mockler will be my closest friend here at the MTC!! OORRAAH!!
 
Love Elder Tekulve
 
ps: watch the LDS.org easter video. It's absolutely amazing and beautiful. :)
Take care!
until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment