Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 100+ and something, Yulian's Baptism


Interesting Fact - Russia is an amazing place full of history. I can't even describe how amazing this place is. 

Well this last week was a busy busy busy one, but so fulfilling. After my last email, we had one more Zone Conference with President and Sister Lawrence from the Seventy. My brain has never exploded that much from so many deep doctrines concerning the Gathering of Israel. It was one of the most interesting things I have ever heard and because of it, scripture study has become so much more interesting. We also learned a lot of how we can better work with members, be even better missionaries, and be even more obedient. If only I got this training earlier in my mission when I had so more time to apply what I have learned...

After we got back, we had meeting after meeting back in Pskov. It felt great teaching that much. There were a lot of farewell meetings, but also lots of farewell commitments to church. We met with our main man, Jules from Poland (the WW2 Auszwisz veteran) twice and got him to church with his wife! It was a little difficult for him to get to church, but taxis helped with that one. He turned 90 last October. He reminds me a lot of grandpa - just so nice and full of warmth and love. That is the kind of old guy I want to become! 

We had another opportunity to give a blessing to the branch's new convert, Tamara. She had recently gotten really sick, so we came over with a member and gave her a blessing. Her mother was there who did not know much about the church or the missionaries. She really loved what we did, and was incredibly thankful. And now she is interested in hearing more. Yay! 

The greatest thing that happened this week was perhaps our biggest miracle yet in Pskov. Yulian got baptized this last Sunday. The events leading up to it were also a miracle. Seeing and knowing about his work situation and how he basically works and sends money to his family back in Moldova, we thought that the Law of the Tithe would be something difficult for him to accept, as to most people, even members, it is a difficult thing to follow and obey. But knowing about the miracles and blessings and coming from said law, we prepared to teach it and we also prayed all week so that he would be touched by the commandment. We prayed, literally, all week long. We finally meet with him and teach him and then we ask him the commitment, "Will you pay tithing after you are baptized?". After a brief pause we hear, "Da." (Yes). I was shocked because our expectation of the difficulty wasn't there, and our prayer was answered. We set up the baptismal interview with the Senior Couple here and he had it at 9 pm at night. He passed and on Sunday, after church, Yulian Maror' got baptized by Il'ya Kazharskiy, our branch president. I will show some pictures another time. 

Yesterday was definitely my favorite Sunday here in Pskov. After the baptism, the branch made a bunch of blini (a Russian thin pancake - kind of like crepes) and we had a feast. It was to celebrate three things: Yulian's baptism, Maslaniza (A Russian holiday that celebrates the coming of Spring), and my farewell. It was really hard to say goodbye to all of my favorite branch members. I spoke at church yesterday about the relation of Love and Missionary Work. Perhaps I will share the talk another time.

So a few more thoughts: This mission has completely changed my life. I like to look at as "my mission SAVED my life". I have never been more happy in my life. It really is 2 years full of hard work, spiritual experiences, prayer, and study. I have never done anything more fulfilling in my life, and I am eternally grateful that I came out on a mission. I had no idea that it would both be this amazing and also so difficult. All of the great miracles, happy moments, the laughs and fun times completely outweigh any hardship, heartache, or tear shed in the field. I kind of see my mission experience as 4 different missions: 1st mission - Surviving the MTC (self-explanatory). 2nd Mission - Learning and Developing (Transfers 1 - 5, Vyborg, and part of my time in St. Petersburg; The time when I adjusted to missionary life, missionary work, and learning how to lead). 3rd Mission - Surviving being Assistant (Transfers 5 - 10. Self-explanatory; I feel like it was the most development and perhaps the most stressful part of the mission). 4rd Mission - Pskov. These past 9 months in Pskov have been completely unique to any other part of my mission. I took everything I learned and used it. I talked to so many people in this small little city, found many investigators, taught dozens and dozens of lessons, but the baptisms lacked. It troubled me and really stressed me out. I feel like this last portion of my mission I really got to know more personally my Father in Heaven and his love for me and also these people, whom I serve. Prayer played a very special part on my mission these past few months. The scripture that best described this time on my mission: 

Psalm 126: 5 - 6 "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him."

We finally we able to reap in joy and bring our sheave to Him, our Lord. I am so glad I am here as a missionary. This has been the best experience of my life. I will miss a lot of people here in the Motherland! 

Well that is about it for this week. I love you all, and thank you all for writing and being such a great support. The Church is the only true and living church. I know with all of my heart that this Church is Christ's Church again restored on the Earth. My testimony is worth more than anything. I love you all!

See you soon.
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment