Friday, January 18, 2013

I survived New Year's!

Interesting Fact - When you weigh your fruit, you got to weigh it yourself and print this sticker from a machine that you put on your bag, and then they scan it when you check out. They sometimes sell pre-weighed fruit. One time I spent 20 dollars on 4 apples because I didn't realize they weighed it wrong. I got my money back, of course, but I was in shock when my 4 apples costed 600 rubles, weighing 7 kilograms. 

So this week, we found ourselves talking to a lot of people! We hit the turf this week and did a lot of finding and street contacting. It was the post-holiday season, meaning the hang-over season and we got a lof of interesting reactions to our procelyting activities this week, but nothing is bringing us down here in Pskov. I really do love this place and I love these people and I am doing all that I can do help them. This last monday we had to stay inside most of the day to stay out of the partying crowds for New Years. I finished the Old Testament finally! I didn't get to finish in 2012 unfortunately, but I am glad I am done. That book was rather intense. Ezekiel has been quite the endurance test.

We found a really awesome new investigator this week. His name is German and is around my age. He has like 8 cars or something like that and just loves everything to do with cars. We had an awesome lesson with him and a member and taught him the Restoration. We really tried to explain it to his level, which was a lot of fun. At the end, he understood really well and made the comment, "Why doesn't everyone understand this?" We haven't been able to meet with him in a while because of our conflicting schedules, but our investigator and that member have been talking a lot on Facebook. The member fellowshipper even taught him how to prayer! I really love this branch. All of the active members are so solid and do so much to help out.

We a funny little meeting with Karl. We took him over to the senior couple's apartment to have them get to know each other. Karl is just.. Karl. But I love him to death. He doesn't really want to hear the gospel, but loves the people in the branch, loves the missionaries, and loves coming to church. He finds everything so interesting. So we tried to get him to meet the senior couple here and the conversation got kind of political as I was translating for both him and the senior couple. It was actually pretty hilarious, but we kindly changed the subject to something more gospel-related... like families! Karl and the Gardiners and some branch members got together again last night, while we were in Petersburg. Karl came to church this last sunday and wants us to meet his neighbor who is interested in hearing the message. He has 7 children. I have been looking for a family to teach my whole mission. Maybe the Lord led me to Karl to find this family? We will be meeting with them tomorrow.

We had a great sunday this last week. We had investigator come with a friend, and Yan come who hasn't come for 4 months or so. The Gardiners took him and has family iceskating and I think he is starrting to open up since then. That's great success! We had 22 people at church which is a lot for us haha. I love these little branches. They are just great.

We went to Peter and back this past few days, which explains my absence of writing. It was great to go back to my old area. We met with one of my favorite families in Center, the Bagdasrayans. We had a great spiritual thought about repentance and the Assistants there are helping them share the gospel with their friends. I had my last visa trip yesterday. I was with Elder Clark during the trip which was nice. He is my first companion in the MTC, and it was great to catch up with him. I haven't talked to him in some time. That's about it for this week!

The Church is true without a doubt. I know that with all my heart. I know that I am on the Lord's errand and I am so blessed to be here in Russia.

Love,
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment