Monday, March 5, 2012

Week 54 - Teaching People and Russian Elections

Interesting Fact #54 - I have been told before my mission to make sure to try Chinese food here. Elder Hill and I just ate out a few hours ago at this restaurant near our apartment. I think Russian Chinese Food is a lot of more oily than I am used to. So it's oily! Interesting!

This week was an interesting one. To be honest, I can't really remember what has happened this past week. It seems like a lot happened/it all happened incredibly fast. I guess this is the cool news. The new Russian translation came out of the Book of Mormon. It's now out on a triple combo, leatherback awesomeness, which I have already ordered. It's surprising how differently the two translations are now. The new translation is I think 99 percent changed. It's now translated straight from the English translation, rather than trying to sound older Russian. The original Russian translation was done in the 60s and you can sometimes find small mistakes. You are probably thinking what translation of the Bible do we use? We use the Russian Orthodox canonized translation which is in even older Russian and it can be so hard to understand sometimes. 

Last night were the elections for the President of Russia so we had to come in a little early in case something happened. So that's the big thing that happened this week in Russia. I still don't know who won, but I guess I will find out really soon.

Jacques is doing awesome! We had an amazing lesson with him and read with him about Lehi's vision and related it to him on the iron rod. We did everything we can to encourage him to read everyday and he has, indeed, been reading! He has a lot of amazing insights and he really is on the path to know if it is true or not. It's amazing to part of the process of learning the true restored gospel. This is really one of the most important paths he will ever take in his life, and it's up to us for him to understand and find his answer. It's pretty intense if you think about it that way. We are meeting Jacques again tonight in his dorm. He really wants to feed us Cameroonian food. Apparently it's ridiculously spicy, so I am in for a treat, I suppose. I found out that the church isn't in Cameroon yet, but the Church is ever growing in Nigeria, the neighboring country. Jacques is our miracle investigator!

So Elder Hill is leaving Center and going to Gatchina. I am getting a new companion on Wednesday who is from one of the Russian islands just right north of Japan! He really doesn't know too much English and I really think I will get a lot of really solid Russian practice with him, sharing an apartment and all. He will be the Junior Assistant. But it's goign to be really fun. He is way awesome, humble elder. He is the one that had the plank of wood fall on his head 3 months and had to go to the Hospital. He has since completely recovered but suffered a minor concussion, and has had a slight personality change. He now is perhaps the funniest Elder in the whole mission. It's so great haha

What else happened today... Oh, we helped President Clark do transfer calls this Saturday and he fed us some German Pancakes! Those were awesome. But basically this week is absolutely crazy. 6 missionaries finishing their missions on Wednesday. Two more visa trips. (We just had one today), and then a conference next Tuesday and Wednesday, plus a council for the Zone Leaders on Monday. Which reminds me, I won't be having my preperation day next Monday. It will probably be this Saturday. So just to let you know! 

I am really glad and grateful to hear that mom's surgery went well. It's but another answer to my prayers. I have been praying that there will be no problems with surgery since I've known about it, and it appears to me that's exactly what happened. God answers prayers. He will perform his miracles to those that truly seek it and have the faith that they will happen. Prayer is such a powerful tool for our benefit. It's like a magic lamp but more  warm and more sincere, and it's unlimited and free. 

That's it for this week! I love you all. I love reading all the emails and everything. To some of my buddies reading this on that so-called blog I hear so much about, a departing senior couple who are going home this Wednesday said they will mail some letters when they get home, so expect them soon! (They are also our next door neighbors and they are some of best people on this Earth. I am going to miss the Hazlewoods!)

Love,
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment