Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"doing what cats do best, I suppose"

Interesting Fact #23: Russia has some very interesting flavors of chips. They have Lay's here, with a wide variety of flavors. Well for starters, they have Original, of course. They also got Sour Cream and Onion. A common standby. Then they have sour cream and mushrooms? Okay. Not bad. A little strange, but not bad... Then they have Shishkabob flavored chips... Ok. Alright.... Then they have Bacon flavor Lay's...Kinda odd..... And then the Grand Mal Flavor to top it all.... They have, get this.. get this... Crab flavored chips! I have not dared to try them. Oh and I almost forgot, they also have Cavier flavored Lay's. I think the favorite flavor here is Bacon. People love their bacon flavored chips.

Week 23. Week 23. Week 23. A few very notable things happened. Actually plenty. Some funny, some great. Well last weekend, on Friday, to be exact, we took a trip back to St. Petersburg. Instead of the typical hot busride, we took an electric train this time. It was nice and comfortable and much faster. We get there to meet our new mission president, President Clark, who might I add, is an incredible guy. Guess where he's from? Midway, Utah. The same city where the Zumatt is located at. He has 2 kids on missions right now as well. One of them is in Zimbabwe. But President Clark is a really awesome guy. He is very fired up on getting a stake here in this mission. He knows only 2 weeks worth of MTC Russian, so that is his weakness, but he is a very inspired individual. I can tell he is really going to take this mission to a whole new direction where a lot of success will come. 

So we take the train back thinking it will be just as comfortable. Nope. It was absolutely packed. We forgot that it was rush hour in Pete and also the weekend so everyone and their mothers were leaving Petersburg. There were no real sits left so we sat in the median part in the train between the carts. I wish it was outside where there was air flow, but it was sealed tight. Again, I just never thought it was ever this hot in a country where it's known to be so cold hahaha. I just remember the man standing next to us was literally pouring sweat onto the ground. To be honest, I am actually really used to being hot all the time. I've grown accustomed to it. I welcome it. 

This week, actually, they turned off our hot water. It will be off for the next three weeks. So I have been taking ice cold showers for the past few days. I love it. It feels excellent. My companion can't stand it so he heats up some water in a pan and bathes a little bit with that. I just remember what you, Dad, were telling me what Bishop Clayton once said about me that I have a "Come as it may" attitude about everything. It's true. Hot water is off for 3 weeks. Oh well. Won't stop me.

Well the awesome thing about this week is that we a got a baptismal date set up with one of our investigators. His name is Edward Arsyonov and he is the husband of this part member family. I'm sure I spoke a lot about him already, but he wants to get baptized! We really didn't say anything about baptism, and he told us he wanted to get baptized on the 20th of August. He is a solid investigator who really understands really well. He has questions, yes so does everyone, even members, but he understands a LOT. So that was the really exciting part of this week. I may or may not be here for the baptism. It depends on if I am staying in Vyborg next week. I can't believe that it's already transfers again. I will be getting a new companion next Wednesday, but I am not entirely sure if I will be leaving or staying here in Vyborg. To be honest. I love this place, and I would hate to leave it. But if I am needed elsewhere, I will go.

Well because I seem to talk about the foods that I make every week, I will talk about the foodstuffs I crafted this week. Well yes, I made borsh, and it was way good! It's kind of a strange recipe, but i did it well. It tasted pretty dang good. I also made this other Russian Cabbage soup called Shshee, (pronounced just She). It's actually like a sourkraut soup. And I was really surprised that it, too, tasted great. It's an easy recipe too. I am a big fan of Russian food. Huge fan, in fact. It's amazing.

Well things are great here. I hope things are just lovely back in the States. Did Zoey ever come home? That little sneaky cat. Speaking of cats. There are cats all over here in Vyborg. Just sitting around, doing what cats do best, I suppose. But at any rate, I love you all and I hope you are all doing great. You're in my prayers everyday.

Love,
Elder Tekulve

No comments:

Post a Comment